POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 : Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5 Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPG-output with povray for windows v3.5
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Date: 19 Feb 2004 20:15:03
Message: <40355f97$1@news.povray.org>
> Why BMP? You should use PNG...aside from the compression, it stores the
> gamma value in the file, and lets you save images in 48 bit...16 bits
> per channel, or 65536 levels per channel instead of 256.

Well, for one, I can use BMP directly as wallpaper on my Windows OS. I don't
need more than the 24bit it comes with, that's another. And, most of the
time, the image gets converted to JPG anyway, either for posting on these
very newsgroups that I've got open and running almost every hour my PC is
running, or for my website. Only seldomly do I need other formats, like for
a book publishing. And even then, 24bit was sufficient so far.

So, though your points are valid and true, I'm too lazy. :-)

But I've never really understood that gamma issue with PNGs... How exactly
does it work, and how is it supposed to work? I've heard that it stores the
gamma value it has been made with, and a viewing app would adjust the gamma
to compensate for different screens, but does it really work?

--
"Tim Nikias v2.0"
Homepage: <http://www.nolights.de>